2011年3月23日 星期三

Personal Pronoun Projects


In chapter 1 of the textbook, it introduce the personal pronoun 私(watashi). However, I know that there are many others pronoun are used. In this project, I refer to the use of pronoun in 学園アリス. In the following, I will list out some characters with different age or post at school.


学生

初等部
name: 佐倉蜜柑
pronoun: ウチ
age: 10 years old
character: optimistic


name: 今井蛍
pronoun: あたし
age: 10 years old
character: cool, mature


name: 日向棗
pronoun: 俺
age: around 10 years old
character: cool, strong, mature

name: 飛田裕
pronoun: 僕
age: around 11 years old
character: 優しい(nice), 弱い(weak)

中等部

name: 安藤翼
pronoun: 俺
age: 14 years old
character: reliable, stong



name: 美咲
pronoun: あたし
age: around 14 years old
character: stong, nice


高等部


name: 今井
pronoun: 僕
age: around 18 years old
character: cool and gentle

先生

name: 神野先生
pronoun: 私
age: 38 years old
character: cool and harsh



name: 岬先生
pronoun: 俺
age: 27 years old
character: reliable

name: 鳴海先生
pronoun: 僕
age: 27 years old
character: narcissistic and nice
 校長 

name: ?? (中等部校長)
pronoun: 私
age: ??
character: mysterious, elegant and noble



All in all, male will use 僕,俺or 私due to their age or strength. Stronger or older may use 俺. Weaker or younger may use 僕. 私 can be used by male and female. In a formal way or women who are elegant will use 私. Female use あたし. Other than that, I guess ウチis how people call themselves in country side or in different province.

For me, I would like to use あたし, because it is less formal than 私 and it is more feminize and cute.

6 則留言:

  1. Nice work with picking examples from manga, Elaine! i truly wish i could have found some examples from manga, but really, sometimes, it's too much Kanji.

    ウチ or うち, i believe i've read somewhere, is used somewhere on the central/eastern parts of Japan, like within or beyond the Kansai region.

    回覆刪除
  2. well~ In my case, I can understand comic because there are a lot of kanji, so I can guess.

    But actually, when I do this project, I always refer to the chinese translated version first and then japanese^^" (I think it is much easier for me to find examples^^")

    for ウチ, I forget which part of Japan use it. In gakuen alice, there is one sentence which talks about where mikan comes from. I just forget which page^^"

    回覆刪除
  3. WoW~
    I have heard of this mange before but i haven't read it. what is it about?any other recommendations? lol

    it is great that you quote all the characters in the same manga so that we can compare them easily by seeing their use of pronoun.


    From your work, we can see different ages may use same pronoun like boku. But still, sometime their characteristics ,like weak or strong,can be shown by the pronoun they use. So pronoun in Japanese is not simply a word to represent ourselves. We can know more from it.

    (sorry for my broken English lol)

    回覆刪除
  4. hahaha~ the course coordinator for Japanese studies DID tell me that I will be at a major disadvantage due to me not knowing any Chinese for the least. But, i couldn't care less - I did sign up for Japanese anyway.

    Well, you can trying looking into Wikipedia or something to find out - and OH, did you just mention you read Gakuen Alice?...what do you think of it? If they did mentioned something about Mikan and where ウチ comes from, i think the author was trying to put forward that Mikan has some special accent.

    回覆刪除
  5. Claudia: I think Gakuen Alice is really interesting, but not yet finish.....soon
    the last part of the whole story is presenting. Gakuen Alice is about a group of students in the same school who have special ability(superpower). e.g. the main male character can produce fire.

    Yuri: There are disadvantages and advantages to know the Chinese characters first. Yes we can guess the meaning, but sometimes we get confused about how to write the correct kanji, it's just similar, not exactly the same with Chinese.

    I think the use of ウチ can indicate where mikan come from and actually it is her accent. However, I am not familiar with this, so I cannot be sure. As I have mentioned, I watched Gukuen Alice in Chinese version and mainly Chinese version. So, if I don't refer to Chinese version, I will never discover ウチmeans I. It seems another new vocab for me.

    回覆刪除
  6. 日本の人称代名詞たくさんあるよね。
    (ウチ)は関西地方の人がよく使うよ。最近では、若い学生も使うよ。
    (私)は女性や目上の人と話すときに使うよ。丁寧に話したいときは男性も使うね。
    (僕)は小さな男の人が使うよ。アニメでは大人も使っているけど実際はあまりいない。
    (俺)は男の人や男性が使うよ。丁寧ではないから改まったところでは使わないね。

    回覆刪除